Design within

Friday, February 17, 2006

Design Definition

Last week I pondered design in the sense of art versus functionality, this spurred some other thoughts in my head about, what is design really. My own definition of design is: The process of uniting ideas to form a physical space that fulfills its program of requirements, and inspires its user. The last part "inspires its user" is what is lacking from most spaces today. This separates engineering from design. I think it is the charge of designers to generate a form that brings forth an inspiration. I would rather be offended by a space or building than unaware and complacent, because it generated an opinion of the space. The firm I currently work at, does not design, most of our designs meet their program requirements, yet mos tof it seems unispired. This to me is very depressing, I want to work in a place where I am excited about design, and not bored by autocad. This is easier said than done, as autocad is a necessary evil, but I think design needs a boost in the public's mind, so it is not just an idle thought. People should know what to look for, just like they discuss politics, they should discuss design.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home