Design within

Friday, April 21, 2006

California Scenario

Having done the majority of my Landscape Architectural Studies in the Midwest, I was not aware of Noguchi’s small plaza in Costa Mesa, California. I recently visited this project, and was a bit confused. The idea is great, represent California through the landscape. My immediate thought was this is A Landscape Architect’s version of California Adventure at Disney. I enjoyed the ties to the landscape, and even the culture of this place, yet I thought something was amiss. It seemed to kitsch, like something we would design in our first year. Too much meaning was attached to the garden’s elements. I suppose this is my realistic and pragmatic design training coming through.

I specifically found the ground level water system and paving selection to be fantastic. I suppose it could be enhanced if they were to integrate actual drainage systems within the sculptural system. I intend to use this concept in my Grand Avenue Civic Center design.

http://www.landliving.com/articles/0000000576.aspx

Located next to the OC Preforming Arts Center
611 Anton Blvd., Costa Mesa, CA, USA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home