Design within

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Future, My Future.

You know the phrase; “Where do you want to go today?” well right now it is to sleep! Seriously, where do I want to go? If I think about how I ended up working and finishing school in California anyway, it is because I live in an ever connected, developed, globalised society. I can pay for tuition on credit card in Kansas, Perth, or Pomona, to them it is all the same.

In a world where money and lifestyles are the same, so is most design. Streets are given a standard width, and ramps a predetermined gradient. Is this good? I suppose it is good to have a constant in life. This removes a level of fear of safety from our lives, and we can focus on other things, like the internet or a park, or staring at a new skyscraper touching the sky.

I work in an office where innovation costs too much, so the status quo is determined to be more worthwhile. Does it pay the bills so I can do things that I enjoy (Travel, read, sleep)? Of course. Will I stay at Land Concern forever? Well my 401k becomes vested in 7 years, there’s something to look forward to, or maybe the 40 years I have ahead of myself, till I can cash out on that retirement. 6 years of undergraduate work seems like a lot, but I can say (while I need a break) I want to go back to school and learn about planning. I want to have my hand in the design of new Transportation Systems, and in community design. I want to be that Andres Duany character that pushes his ego everywhere. Will I become that? No. But my goals are to become licensed in the next few years, continue learning Thai, perhaps pursue Transportation Studies at UCI’s Department of Planning and Design (http://www.seweb.uci.edu/ppd/tp.uci) Then take a job in Southeast Asia or Australia, and return to my favourite city (Perth, Western Australia).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home